Occasional Contributor
CarterLesterLawyers

Fees for Part Tenancy Transfer Qld

Why is stamp duty correctly assessed for a part tenancy transfer but registration fees are charged on the whole consideration and not the value of the share being transferred?

Community Manager - Queensland
Community Manager - Queensland
Morvanna

Re: Fees for Part Tenancy Transfer Qld

Hi @CarterLesterLawyers 

If you have any queries regarding registrations fees charged in PEXA it would be best to reach out to Titles Queensland discuss.

Kind regards

@Morvanna 

Occasional Contributor
KevinJohnson

Re: Fees for Part Tenancy Transfer Qld

I don't know whether this will help much, but the relevant fee-fixing regulation in Queensland has -- I think -- from the year dot, set a fee for the  '[transfer] of a lot or an interest in a lot'. 

I suppose transfer (stamp) duty is an ad valorem tax whereas registration of a transfer or other dealing involves a service, and there is just as much work required by Titles Queensland for the transfer of an interest in a lot, as distinct from the entirety of the lot.  Perhaps there will often be a bit more work for the former, in that a human brain at Titles (I assume) must check that the transferor as a severing joint, or in common, owner, has a sufficient interest to give effect to the intended transfer.